Application Portal For September 2023 Is Now Open.
Please Note: the minimum acceptable average for consideration of admission to the MSc program is B+ grade in a 4-year bachelor’s program. Applicants to the PhD program must have a Master’s degree (thesis-based) in a relevant program with a minimum of B+ grade to be considered for admission.
All applicants to the Department of Kinesiology are advised to seek a graduate faculty member who agrees to assume advisory responsibilities for the applicant. The best way to find an advisor is to contact the graduate faculty members directly via email . By opening a dialogue with a potential advisor the applicant and the potential advisor can find out more about one another and work towards a fit with the student’s desires and the faculty member’s research profile in mind. No applicant is offered admission until a faculty member agrees to supervise him or her.
Once a faculty member indicates you should apply, you can complete and submit the online application. Please note that this is not a guarantee of admission. Your potential supervisor will review your application and make a final decision based on your application.
A listing of the research areas within our Department and the Research faculty that take graduate students can be found the Graduate Research Faculty webpage.
The McMaster application system opens on September 1st for applications for the following academic year. Applications are submitted online and, in order to assure the best opportunity for review and consideration, the complete application package must be received by March 31.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the online application process.
Documents Required At Time Of Application:
- PDF version of Original Transcript: You must provide a PDF version of your ORIGINAL transcript at the time you apply. This will help us evaluate your application while we wait to receive your original documents (sent directly from the issuing institution). If the transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, any offer that is issued will be considered conditional upon the applicant demonstrating achievement of the appropriate academic standing (B+ or better) and providing proof of same.
- Email addresses of two academic references most familiar with your academic work. Applicant’s referees will receive an email message asking them to complete an eReference. If you need to change a reference or referee email address after submitting your application, you may do so by navigating back to your application or through the Application Status Portal.
- PDF Version of English Language Proficiency Test: If English is not your first language, an official copy of your TOEFL score is required. MINIMUM scores of: 92 (Internet-based); 237 (Computer-based); 580 (Paper-based) is required by the Faculty of Science.
- PDF Version of Statement of interest in pursuing graduate studies. This is approximately one page in length. In this statement, be sure to tell us why you are interested in a particular field of study, what you would like to accomplish in your studies, as well as any information that you think would be of use to the people reviewing your application.
- A PDF version of your current resume or CV: Please ensure that the CV that you have uploaded includes any research, teaching or work experience related to your proposed area of specialization. The most important aspect of your application is how well you appear to fit with a potential supervisor and their research team in your desired subspecialty. You are more than the sum of your grades!
Applications must be accompanied by a $110.00 application fee. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid in Canadian dollars by means of a credit card payment or interac card (domestic applicants).
Should you receive an offer of admission please arrange to have your final official transcripts and official English Language Proficiency transcript (if applicable), mailed directly from the issuing institution to the following address by the deadline outlined in your offer letter:
Graduate Studies, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Ivor Wynne Centre 219C, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1.
For more information regarding graduate student academic accommodations please visit the School of Graduate Studies website.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page